Theory of Impact. After reading chapter 14, I have to become to the point where I need to be really honest with myself and the reason I am becoming a teacher. I am a person that falls into the category of 'it's all about me' more specifically 'it is all about me and mine'. My main reason for becoming a teacher is that I am married to one and have two children that are of school age and one that will soon become a student. I believe it would make my life a lot easier if we were on a schedule that is at worst similar and at best the exact same: same days off, same vacation time frame, etc. The next thing I must admit is that my children's education comes first and foremost in my decisions to become a teacher. By my returning to work as a teacher (I have been a stay at home mom for a number of years now), I will be able to, hopefully, get a job at the private school I would prefer my children to attend and thus will be able to get a discount on tuition. I must admit to having feelings of selfishness as I write this.
Knowing myself and my tendencies where children are involved, though it began as 'all about me', I have no doubt that once I have students in front of me with faces and names it will quickly become 'all about the kids'. I have the tendency to fall in love with children and have had that tendency since I was 12. That is the reason I could not work in the social work field. I tried to work at a crisis shelter for children and my heart broke daily-sometimes hourly. I would want to take all the children that were my clients home with me. I have no doubt that I will have a vested interest in each child as if they were my own. Funny thing is that they will become 'mine' and thus still fall into the previous category. I want the world for my children and the children that will momentarily be mine. That they would love to learn, and be able to hope in the future, and will see that if they work hard and make good choices that they can have the future that is promising and perfectly designed for them and thus be successful.
As I look at impact on society, I must admit that it is not my desire to impact society as a whole. I would rather focus on the impact I might have on each individual child that graces my classroom. However, I do know that by impacting my students I could and would have an impact on society. So, from a societal view, what would I want to instill in the students that I have had the opportunity to claim for a short period of time? That they would become productive citizens of society, and that they will take an active role in their rights as citizens in a democratic society.
I can only hope and pray that as I proceed on becoming a teacher and with each successive year in my career, I will be able to further develop the impact I want to have on each of my students and that impact will be one of positive hope for the future.
5 comments:
Hi Miriam,
I appreciate your honesty in this blog and think that it is important to recognize why we teach and how that may change (such as your students becoming "mine"). I'm curious what you plan to do after your children have graduated from high school. I realize that that is far enough in advance that you probably only have a vague idea of what you will want to do then, but I guess I wish I could see what you will be like then and if you will choose to continue to teach and for what reasons.
~Lacey
Actually, my husband and I have discussed it. Our first son will be at that stage in a very short 8 years. It is frightening as a parent. I figure if we are used to paying a tuition, the financial impact (should our children not get any financial aid) will be minimal since we are used to a tuition. The school I hope to teach at is one that my husband and I would like to continue on with until we are ready for retirement. So, my husband anticipates retiring from the public schools and then get a position at the same private school. We know that plans change and are not static or guaranteed but that is what we are hoping and praying for. Perhaps we will keep in touch and see where we will all will go.
Miriam
Hi Miriam -
I don't think you should feel selfish at all regarding your reasons for teaching. I want to be a teacher for some of the same reasons. I think it is very wise to plan ahead and of course, to do whatever is best for your family. Many people don't have the foresight to do this and you are lucky you do. I am sure your kids will be grateful to have such strategic and thoughtful parents when they are grown up. My parents made a similar decision when I was young and I am extremely grateful they did so. Have a great weekend!
Hey Miriam,
I enjoyed your blog this week. We are very similar in our goals and aspirations with our teaching futures. My goal was to get my teaching degree and hopefully become a private school teacher so my son could get in with a 90% tuition reduction rate, that's how it is at Manzano Day School anyway. I went back and forth with which grades I wanted to teach depending on wether or not he was in private school. We currently live in the South Valley and we will be moving next year before he startsd Kindergarden. We wil most likely end up in RR so he can attend RRPS. It's a smaller district and although they have their financial issues as well, I think it's the next best thing to a private school that we're going to find. Oh!, there's so much to think about and I know it will all change as we evolve. I see that you too, are considering what will be best for your children as well. It's a hard decision to come by. I enjoyed all of your philog's and all of your feedback. Thank you.
--Debora
Did you do a little dance as you wrote this last blog? That said, I hope that this is your last forced blog, but you continue to write about education for yourself. Thank you for putting so much thought into your posts. You have a great philosophy of education and theory of impact. Your honesty is an incredible attribute! It may by for you, but when we take care of ourselves we are better able to take care of those around us. Good luck!
Post a Comment