Though I have always thought that all have the right to an education and that it should not matter who you are or where you came from, after all the readings we have had to read it just strengthens my desire. I don’t believe a person should be excluded in education unless it benefits the student as it did with the schizophrenia student on the video we saw last class. Though I agree with CNM’s core values, I think that my core values would include that regardless of our differences and unique qualities, we are all people and have rights that are affiliated with that. I would add that I believe in life, humanity and faith. Rules are put in place to avoid chaos and I try my best to accept and value all because we are all people. These values, especially that we are all human, will affect my teaching practice in positive ways, it will not matter who you are, I will give each student my best. I will attempt to teach each student in a way that they can learn the information and be able to succeed. These values are intrinsic to who I am and what choices I make in life. Obviously I am interested in society and people because I would not be trying to become a teacher if I didn’t. How do race, ethnicity, background, life experience, and identity influence my philosophy of education? Well, before applying for this program, I did not focus on any of those things. I saw people as individuals that all have choices to make in life. I am from technically an interracial family, my mother is white (so many different races she calls herself a Heinz 57 sauce), was one of 13 children and was very poor. My father is of Hispanic/German decent but is very dark in complexion and was raised in South Valley. I was raised that it isn’t the color we are or how much money we had but what choices we made in life. I have family that has decided to take welfare assistance to the limit, and others who work hard and make a life for their family. I also have family who have gone to college and received a degree. All this variety was the norm in my family. I never thought of things in these (race, ethnicity) ways before this program. Ultimately, I think I will retain my original thoughts: It isn’t the color we are or how much money we had but what choices we make in life and we all have choices that will be presented. I will accept students and respect students based on who they are and the decisions they make. If they make a decision I do not agree with, I will have compassion and try to understand but it will not change the way I treat them. I will however take with me that a student's background, ethnicity, SES, etc., affects the learning experience and I will attempt to help my students to learn to the best of their ability and to achieve all they can be.
1 comment:
Hi Miriam,
I noticed that no one commenting on your blog so I thought I would. I agree that all children have a right to an education, but I don't agree that it will look like a free public education for all of them. As you mentioned, the girl with schizophrenia would've functioned better in a different setting. I believe there are some children who can adapt to the educational 'institution' and the rules that go along with it, and I believe some children would fare better in alternative environments. If we have done our best to respect and educate the child but they still have trouble with traditional public schools then I think other options need to be looked at and a lot of what goes into that decision is based on the child's choices and actions. I think I'm rambling and may be off point from your blog, but I like your value that we are all people and we all have basic rights. It sounds a lot like Jefferson's vision of the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It sounds like you're laying a strong foundation for your future classrooms.
Post a Comment